1930s Aerial Photography of New Jersey
NJ Office of Information Technology (NJOIT), Office of Geographic Information Systems (OGIS)
This OGC compliant Web Map Service includes a historical image data set of a mosaic of black and white photography of New Jersey from the early 1930s. The source imagery was hand cut to produce 261 mosaic tile prints on linen-backed paper. The data set was produced by scanning these mosaic tile prints at 400 dpi and saved as TIFF images. The scanned TIFF images had an approximate pixel resolution of 6.5 feet. They were georeferenced against 1995/97 color infrared digital orthophotography. The georeferenced TIFFs were clipped and merged into a single raster image for reference purposes only. The digital product has not been corrected for distortion or vertical displacement. They do not meet the National Standard for Spatial Data Accuracy (NSSDA).
The accuracy of the imagery is variable. In some locations the imagery is within 10 feet and in others the features are more than 200 feet off. Although each tile had as many as 100 links used in the georeferencing process, the source imagery contained spatial errors uncorrectable through georeferencing.
1930s Aerial Photography of New Jersey – New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection. Paper prints were supplied by the NJ Department of Environmental Protection, NJ Forest Service and the Bureau of Tidelands. The Xerox Synergix 8825 scanner was supplied by the NJ State Park Service. All scanning and georeferencing was done by the NJDEP Bureau of Geographic Information Systems.
Horizontal Position Accuracy
Each scanned tiff was georeferenced to the 1995-97 DOQQ. RMS errors recorded during georeferencing ranged from 10.7 to 226.2 and are recorded in a image30_mask shapefile. The mean RMS is 80 feet and the standard deviation is 40.4 feet. No positional testing was done by BGIS. This imagery does not meet national map accuracy standards, nor should it be used as a base for mapping.
Acknowledgement of the map service provider, State of New Jersey Office of Information Technology, Office of Geographic Information Systems (NJOIT-OGIS) would be appreciated. Use constraints are determined by the steward(s) of the data used in this map service. For data originally acquired from NJDEP in this map service, refer to the following Data Distribution Agreement from NJDEP:
I. Description of Data to be Provided
The data provided herein are distributed subject to the following conditions and restrictions: Subject Data Layers For all data contained herein, NJDEP makes no representations of any kind, including, but not limited to, the warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular use, nor are any such warranties to be implied with respect to the digital data layers furnished hereunder. NJDEP assumes no responsibility to maintain them in any manner or form.
II. Terms of Agreement
1. Digital data received from the NJDEP are to be used solely for internal purposes in the conduct of daily affairs.
2. The data are provided, as is, without warranty of any kind and the user is responsible for understanding the accuracy limitations of all digital data layers provided herein, as documented in the accompanying Data Dictionary and Readme files. Any reproduction or manipulation of the above data must ensure that the coordinate reference system remains intact.
3. Digital data received from the NJDEP may not be reproduced or redistributed for use by anyone without first obtaining written permission from the NJDEP. This clause is not intended to restrict distribution of printed mapped information produced from the digital data.
4. Any maps, publications, reports, or other documents produced as a result of this project that utilize NJDEP digital data will credit the NJDEP’s Bureau of GIS (BGIS) as the source of the data with the following credit/disclaimer: “This (map/publication/report) was developed using NJDEP Bureau of GIS digital data, but this secondary product has not been verified by NJDEP and is not state-authorized.”
5. Users shall require any independent contractor, hired to undertake work that will utilize digital data obtained from the NJDEP, to agree not to use, reproduce, or redistribute NJDEP BGIS data for any purpose other than the specified contractual work. All copies of NJDEP BGIS data utilized by an independent contractor will be required to be returned to the original user at the close of such contractual work. Users hereby agree to abide by the use and reproduction conditions specified above and agree to hold any independent contractor to the same terms. By using data provided herein, the user acknowledges that terms and conditions have been read and that the user is bound by these criteria.
The State of New Jersey provides the 1930s imagery “as is”. The State makes no guarantee or warranty concerning the accuracy of information contained in the data. Also, the State makes no warranty, either expressed or implied, regarding the condition of the product or its fitness for any particular purpose. The burden for determining fitness for use lies entirely with the user.
Map software is provided ‘as-is’, without any express or implied warranty. In no event will boydsmaps.com be held liable for any damages arising from the use of this software. The user assumes all risks associated with the use of this software. boydsmaps.com will not be held responsible for any inaccuracies and no responsibility is assumed for damages or other liabilities due to errors, installation, accuracy, availability, use or misuse of the data presented.
Full Metadata Link
Downloadable Version for Offline Use