NJDEP 1970 Wetlands Basemaps
NJ Office of Information Technology (NJOIT), Office of Geographic Information Systems (OGIS)
This Web Map Service publishes the series of chronoflex photo-basemaps known as the “1970 Wetlands Basemaps.” These maps were scanned and geo-referenced using the NJDEP Tidelands Grid vector data layer as the reference data set. Cropped versions of the geo-referenced images are made available in this WMS. The WMS was created to provide a geo-referenced digital version of the 1970 Wetlands Basemaps for use in Geographic Information Systems and applications.
This set of photo-basemaps was originally produced to support the “Wetlands Act of 1970 “, (N.J.S.A. 13:9A-1, ET. SEQ). Although identified as the 1970 Wetlands Basemaps, the aerial photographs used to generate the basemaps were actually taken in several years; 1971, 1972, and 1977. These basemaps include the original delineations of the wetlands species vegetation used to map the tidal wetlands for the act. Also included is the delineation of the Upper Wetlands Boundary (UWB). Note that while these geo-referenced scanned images were referenced as acurately as possible and the positions of the vegetation polygon boundaries and the UWB are representative of the delineated positions of these features, the original chronoflex photo-basemaps produced at the original scale of 1:2400 remain the legal delineations of these features. The scanning and geo-referencing of the basemaps was done by Civil Soultions, under the direction of the NJDEP.
Horizontal Position Accuracy
Scanned basemaps were georeferenced matchng the four corners of the embeded reference grid within the image to the tidegrid vector digital data published by NJDEP. All efforts were made to keep georeferencing residuals below four (4) feet. In some cases it was not possible to meet this tolerance due to such issues as: lack of sufficient contrast in the image to clearly determine grid intersections, poorly embeded grid coordinates, stretch/skew of 40+ year old originals. Georeference points were set in the following order for all images: NW, SE, NE, SW.
Acknowledgement of the data set provider, NJDEP, and the WMS publisher, NJ Office of Information Technology (NJOIT), Office of Geographic Information Systems (OGIS), would be appreciated for maps, data or other products derived from this Web Map Service. The following language applies to the digital data, originated by NJDEP Data Distribution Agreement (NJDEP) Agrees to abide by the terms and conditions of the following:
I. Description of Data to be Provided
The data provided herein are distributed subject to the following conditions and restriction. Subject Data Layers For all data contained herein, (NJDEP) makes no representations of any kind, including, but not limited to, the warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular use, nor are any such warranties to be implied with respect to the digital data layers furnished hereunder. NJDEP assumes no responsibility to maintain them in any manner or form.
II. Terms of Agreement
1. Digital data received from the NJDEP are to be used solely for internal purposes in the conduct of daily affairs.
2. The data are provided, as is, without warranty of any kind and the user is responsible for understanding the accuracy limitations of all digital data layers provided herein, as documented in the accompanying Data Dictionary and Readme files. Any reproduction or manipulation of the above data must ensure that the coordinate reference system remains intact.
3. Digital data received from the NJDEP may not be reproduced or redistributed for use by anyone without first obtaining written permission from the NJDEP. This clause is not intended to restrict distribution of printed mapped information produced from the digital data.
4. Any maps, publications, reports, or other documents produced as a result of this project that utilize NJDEP digital data will credit the NJDEP Geographic Information System (GIS) as the source of the data with the following credit/disclaimer: “This (map/publication/report) was developed using New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection Geographic Information System digital data, but this secondary product has not been verified by NJDEP and is not state-authorized.”
5. Users shall require any independent contractor, hired to undertake work that will utilize digital data obtained from the NJDEP, to agree not to use, reproduce, or redistribute NJDEP GIS data for any purpose other than the specified contractual work. All copies of NJDEP GIS data utilized by an independent contractor will be required to be returned to the original user at the close of such contractual work. Users hereby agree to abide by the use and reproduction conditions specified above and agree to hold any independent contractor to the same terms. By using data provided herein, the user acknowledges that terms and conditions have been read and that the user is bound by these criteria.
This map was developed using New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection Geographic Information System digital data, but this secondary product has not been verified by NJDEP and is not state-authorized
Map software is provided ‘as-is’, without any express or implied warranty. In no event will boydsmaps.com be held liable for any damages arising from the use of this software. The user assumes all risks associated with the use of this software. boydsmaps.com will not be held responsible for any inaccuracies and no responsibility is assumed for damages or other liabilities due to errors, installation, accuracy, availability, use or misuse of the data presented.
Full Metadata Link
Downloadable Version for Offline Use